How Long Do I Have To See A Doctor After An Accident?
After the shock of an accident starts to wear off, people involved in accidents may ask themselves two important questions:
Should I Go To The Doctor After My Car Accident?
My advice? A resounding YES!
- If you've been injured as a result of someone else's negligence or recklessness, like in an automobile accident, always seek medical attention right away.
- Always err on the side of caution, unless you're absolutely sure that you're okay and you're not hurt.
- A latent onset of symptoms may lead you to believe that you're not hurt when you are actually hurt.
- This can happen when you don't "feel" your personal injury until days or weeks after the accident that prompted it.
Remember: Failing To Seek Medical Attention May Harm Your Case
Failing to seek medical attention immediately following your accident will have a negative impact on a future personal injury case. Why? Because the delay - -
- May raise questions of credibility concerning the seriousness of your injuries.
- After all, how badly could you have been hurt if you didn't even need to go to the hospital or see a doctor right away?
- May raise questions as to the true cause of your injuries.
- Example, if 3 months passed from the accident date until the first time you sought treatment, a jury might believe your injuries could have resulted from a different accident that happened somewhere during that 3 month period.
- May lead the insurance to think that you only sought out medical treatment after being persuaded to do so by your lawyer.
- May be viewed as a failure to "mitigate" damages on your part because you could have acted sooner to begin the healing and recovery process for your injuries.
- "Mitigate" means doing what you can to reduce your damages.
- Example: You can't sue for losing the use of your arm when you never went and got your arm fracture diagnosed and treated.
- Here are some tips to help you, starting right from the accident scene.
After I See A Doctor For My Accident Case, What Should I Do Next?
You should not represent yourself. But, why? Find out what the insurance does not want you to know: what you need to know about insurance adjusters and insurance tactics that can hurt you. Even if you were partially to blame for your accident, you might still be able to make a claim and file a lawsuit. Talk to a good attorney before you do anything besides: calling 911 and seek medical care.
I speak Spanish - hablo español. I have experience with personal injury, wrongful death accident and work accident deaths.