How Long Do I Have To See A Doctor After An Accident?
After the shock of an accident starts to wear off, people involved in accidents may ask themselves two important questions:
Should I Go To The Doctor After My Car Accident?
My advice? A resounding YES!
- If you've been injured as a result of someone else's negligence or recklessness, like in an automobile accident, always seek medical attention right away.
- Always err on the side of caution, unless you're absolutely sure that you're okay and you're not hurt.
- A latent onset of symptoms may lead you to believe that you're not hurt when you are actually hurt.
- This can happen when you don't "feel" your personal injury until days or weeks after the accident that prompted it.
Remember: Failing To Seek Medical Attention May Harm Your Case
Failing to seek medical attention immediately following your accident will have a negative impact on a future personal injury case.
Why? Because the delay - -
- May raise questions of credibility concerning the seriousness of your injuries.
- After all, how badly could you have been hurt if you didn't even need to go to the hospital or see a doctor right away?
- May raise questions as to the true cause of your injuries.
- Example, if 3 months passed from the accident date until the first time you sought treatment, a jury might believe your injuries could have resulted from a different accident that happened somewhere during that 3 month period.
- May lead the insurance to think that you only sought out medical treatment after being persuaded to do so by your lawyer.
- May be viewed as a failure to "mitigate" damages on your part because you could have acted sooner to begin the healing and recovery process for your injuries.
- "Mitigate" means doing what you can to reduce your damages.
- Example: You can't sue for losing the use of your arm when you never went and got your arm fracture diagnosed and treated.
- Here are some tips to help you, starting right from the accident scene.
After I See A Doctor For My Accident Case, What Should I Do Next?
Even if you were partially to blame for your accident, you might still be able to make a claim and file a lawsuit.
I speak Spanish - hablo español.