What Every Accident Victim Needs To Know:
The Most Common Back Injuries
I am Bay Area serious personal injury attorney Renée Yvonne Gardner. I founded Gardner Law, a personal injury law office. I am the attorney at Gardner Law. I fight for English and Spanish speaking victims who have suffered back injuries in an accident.
It's not uncommon to suffer a back injury in an accident. A back injury can range from a sprain and strain to one that will require surgery.
Here are some common injuries suffered by people involved in serious personal injury accidents.
Can Whiplash Include Both Neck And Back Pain?
- A lot of people automatically think “neck” when they hear the term whiplash. But, did you know that whiplash can also involve your spine, and the pain can last for months? This is called “whiplash syndrome.” 1
- Whiplash syndrome is a group of symptoms commonly associated with a neck injury following an auto accident. It includes but is not limited to headache, neck pain, neck spasm, jaw pain, shoulder pain, diffuse numbness and weakness in the upper extremities. It's considered to be chronic when it lasts more than 6 to 12 months. 2
- Whiplash syndrome can cause chronic pain.
- Click here to read more about whiplash.
What Is A Herniated Disc?
- A herniated disc is sometimes called a ruptured disc. It refers to a problem with any one of the rubbery cushions (called a disc) that sis between the individual neck and back bones (called vertebrae). Vertebrae are the bones that stack up to make your entire spine. 3
- Sometimes a herniated disk irritates a nearby nerve and causes a problem. When this happens, neck or back pain can travel down your arm or leg. You may even have numbness, tingling or weakness. 4
What Is A Spinal Fracture?
- Spinal fractures are called spondylolysis. 5
- A stress fracture is a very small crack in the bone. 6
- Spondylolysis is a stress fractures or crack in the spine bones. 7
What Is A Slipped Disc?
- A slipped disc is called spondylolisthesis. 8
- Spondylolisthesis is a spinal condition that causes lower back pain. It occurs when one of your vertebrae, the bones of your spine, slips out of place onto the vertebra below it. If the spondylolisthesis is severe, surgery may be required. 9
What Is A Spinal Cord Injury?
- A spinal cord injury is damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal. These are serious injuries that cause permanent changes in strength, sensation and other body functions below the site of the injury. 10
- A spinal cord injury isn't always immediately obvious. If it isn't spotted right away, a more severe injury may occur. This is why if you suspect you may be injured, you need to see a doctor right away. 11
- Numbness and even paralysis can occur immediately, or come on gradually, as bleeding or swelling occurs in or around the spinal cord. 12
- So, the time between injury and treatment can be critical in determining the extent and severity of complications and the possible extent of expected recovery. 13
- Spinal cord injuries are pretty much the most devastating of any spinal injury. Why? Because although the doctor may be able to repair the spine itself, the bundle of nerves that the spine protects can't be repaired. 14
What Is A Facet Joint Injury?
- Facet joints are found in the spine. Think of them like a hinge that exists between each vertebra. These joints lubricate themselves. 15
- People with facet joint injuries usually say that they have to turn their whole body to look to the left or right. 16
- A big problem is that facet joint injuries may not be diagnosed by x-rays. Facet joint injuries may result in a lot of pain and dysfunction and may make an accident victim more likely to get early arthritis. 17
What Is Spinal Stenosis?
- Gardner Law urges all accident victims to seek medical care right away after the accident. Why? Because injuries that are not properly diagnosed and treated can cause long-lasting problems, especially in older people.
- Spinal stenosis is one of those conditions. 18
- A doctor will not usually diagnose you with spinal stenosis caused by an accident. But, serious accidents can contribute to spinal stenosis if a spine injury is not properly diagnosed and treated. The most severe cases of spinal stenosis require surgery. Most cases are treated with physical therapy and other non-invasive measures. 19
Do I Need An Attorney for My Back Injury Accident Case?
If your back got hurt in an accident, please contact me for a free consultation at (408) 214-5555 or fill out the below form.
If your loved one passed away in due to a back injury, please call me about your wrongful death case.
○ Alameda County ○ Contra Costa County ○ Fresno County ○ Marin County ○ Merced County ○ Monterey County ○ San Benito County ○ San Francisco County ○ San Joaquin County ○ San Mateo County ○ Santa Clara County ○ Santa Cruz County
None of the information on this website of Attorney Renée Yvonne Gardner is offered as medical advice.
If you have been injured in any type of accident, please seek immediate medical attention and follow the advice of your doctor.